United States 1, Uruguay 1 | 2019 International Friendly Recap
The US men's national team conceded a goal just after second-half kickoff but Jordan Morris found the equalizer in the 79th minute, allowing the USMNT to salvage a 1-1 draw in their international friendly against Uruguay at Busch Stadium on Tuesday.
Brian Rodriguez netted in the 50th minute to put Uruguay in the driver's seat, but Morris' late finish would be enough to ensure the contest would end level.
After Uruguay nearly missed the opener on an early counterattack, the US had a golden look at the other end in the 11th minute on a headed effort from Cristian Roldan, who got on the end of a cross from Sebastian Lletget, but Uruguay goalkeeper Fernando Muslera sprawled out to deny the shot. The Yanks' other best chance of the half came in the 22nd minute, when Morris rifled a cross in front of goal from the left flank that Tyler Boyd hit just over the crossbar from close range.
The US also had a penalty kick shout just before the halftime break after Josh Sargent's reverse header appeared to hit the outstretched hand of Uruguay defender Rodrigo Bentancur. Referee Ricardo Montero wouldn't abide the USMNT's pleas for the call and the match remained scoreless into halftime.
Uruguay found the breakthrough tally after Rodriguez unleashed a laser shot on the back end of another counterattack that screamed by US goalkeeper Brad Guzan and into net for the 1-0 lead.
That scoreline would hold until the 79th minute, when Morris found the leveler off a deflected cross that sailed to him right in front of goal, allowing him to chest home the point-blank finish.
- THE BIG PICTURE: It looked like the US were set for another deflating defeat, but Morris was able to flip the script with his equalizer and provide a necessary psychological boost for the team after a rough 3-0 defeat to Mexico on Friday. It was by no means a perfect performance, and this team still has plenty to figure out between now and World Cup qualifying, but this can at least be considered something to build on.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: It wasn't the prettiest goal you'll ever see, but it was so sorely needed that Gregg Berhalter won't be questioning it in the least. If the US hadn't netted on Tuesday, it would have marked their third straight game without a goal. Instead, it provided a decent result against a quality opponent.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: The goal wasn't the only impressive part of Morris' shift. He was active on the left wing throughout the contest, sending in the pinpoint cross in the first half that Boyd really should have finished. Coming off an ACL tear that cost him all of last season, the Seattle Sounders man made a solid case for more caps going forward as he tries to break back into the USMNT rotation.
- USA: Friday, Oct. 11 vs. Cuba (7:06 pm ET | FS1) | Concacaf Nations League
- Uruguay: Friday, Oct. 11 vs. Peru | International Friendly