Vancouver Whitecaps 1, San Jose Earthquakes 3 | 2019 MLS Match Recap
Chris Wondolowski scored his ninth goal of the season and assisted Vako's fifth in six league matches as the San Jose Earthquakes overcame an early deficit in a 3-1 win over the Vancouver Whitecaps on Saturday night at BC Place.
Doneil Henry scored early for the Whitecaps, who despite the bright start quickly began to be overrun by their opponents en route to their fourth consecutive defeat.
San Jose outshot Vancouver 32-6 overall and 11-1 in terms of efforts on target in their third road win this season that followed conceding the opening goal. Before 2019, the Quakes had not won more than three league away games of any variety since 2015.
- 7' - VAN - Doneil Henry | WATCH
- 16' - SJ - Vako | WATCH
- 34' - SJ - Chris Wondolowski | WATCH
- 79' - SJ - Magnus Ericksson | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: Although LAFC remain the clear Supporters' Shield favorites, it may be fair to say the Quakes are the most in-form side in MLS. They've lost just once in their last 10 matches and now sit tied for fourth on points in the Western Conference. And their next four games are against teams currently sitting below the playoff line.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: It was a wacky deflection off the upright and then the back of Vancouver goalkeeper Maxime Crepeau, and then a goal-line scramble. In other words, it was the perfect Wondo situation. He now has 153 career MLS goals, and is one away from his 10th consecutive double-digit goals season.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Vako. The Georgian was outstanding throughout, scoring the early leveler, taking the initial shot leading to Wondo's strike, and spotting Eriksson on the sequence leading to his goal. He was rewarded with a well-earned early exit in the 82nd minute, coming off for Shea Salinas.
- VAN: Wednesday, July 24 vs. Calgary Cavalry, Canadian Championship 3rd qualifying round, Leg 2 (10:30 pm ET | OneSoccer)
- SJ: July 27 vs. Colorado Rapids (10 pm ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN+ in the US and DAZN in Canada)