Columbus Crew SC 2, Montreal Impact 1 | 2019 MLS Match Recap
David Accam scored his first MLS goal for his new club just moments into the second half, lifting Columbus Crew SC to a 2-1 victory over the Montreal Impact that snapped Crew SC's 10-match winless stretch on Saturday night at MAPFRE Stadium.
The Crew acquired Accam from the Philly the same day, but the 28-year-old has made only six MLS starts since, this his first after missing almost three weeks due to a hamstring injury.
Zakaria Diallo leveled in first-half stoppage time for Montreal, who missed a chance to move above the New York Red Bulls — at least temporarily — into fourth place in the Eastern Conference standings.
The Impact finished with 10 men after referee Robert Sibiga sent off Bacary Sagna for pulling Accam back and denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity in the 55th minute.
- 6' - CLB - Josh Williams | WATCH
- 45'+2' - MTL - Zakaria Diallo | WATCH
- 46' - CLB - David Accam | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: It sounds crazy to say, but despite Columbus winning for just the second match in 17 games, a late playoff push isn't impossible in the East. The victory brought the Crew within eight points of the playoff line. A haul of 24 points from their last 11 matches would put Columbus on 45 for the season, and at 1.32 points per game would be even or better than the current ratio for Montreal and Toronto, two teams that currently sit above the line.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: After going behind early in the first half, Montreal looked plenty threatening for most of the opening 45 minutes before Diallo found them a deserved equalizer. Sagna's ejection not long after Accam re-took the lead for Columbus was a major key in helping the Crew get this win over the line.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: David Accam. It wasn't his most consistently dangerous performance by any means, to be expected after injury caused his several-weeks' absence from Caleb Porter's starting XI. However, his class and athleticism created the match's two most important moments, both of which were crucial on a night striker Gyasi Zardes was particularly wasteful.
- CLB: Saturday, July 27 vs. New York Red Bulls (7:30 pm ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN+ in the US and on DAZN in Canada)
- MTL: Wednesday, July 24 vs. York9, Canadian Championship 3rd Qualifying Round, Leg 2 (7:30 pm ET | OneSoccer)